Best Metal Guitars in 2019 | Reviews and Buying Guide
If you are a guitar player, you will agree with me that the instrument you play will spice your performance. There are many metal guitars on the market but believe me, some have excelled in giving the right quality music, in getting the crowds entertained.
With so many metal guitar manufacturers in the world, any aspiring guitarist may have difficulty in selecting the best metal guitar. You need a guitar that will set you apart from the rest of the musicians as you endeavor to top the list in the entertainment circles.
Select Best One
If you are thinking of going metal, not every guitar will work for you. You must be serious in your selection to get the best. Based on my experience with metal guitars, I will assist you to come up with the best catch that will define your style and genre.
A best metal guitar should allow fast playing, be able to produce the massive tunes associated with metal in addition to being attractive. Any musical instrument is as good as the player. Read more to find top reviews and buying guide to help you buy the best.
How We Selected the Best Metal Guitar
To select the metal guitar for your music, you must consider some things first. Prior research is vital as an aid to what you probably require. We spent several hoursonline researching different brands. Our team members also visited several guitar shop with an experienced metal guitarist. Their input was vital in helping us select these instruments.
We tested many metal guitars considering different factors such as playability, sound quality, comfort and much more. We were able to fish out the best metal guitars any metal player will love.
Best Metal Guitars Comparison
Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Guitar
490R and 490T humbuckers
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
EMG Active 81TW/89
ESP LTD DELUXE E C1000VB
Maestro by Gibson
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
Standard single coil strat
Squier by Fender affinity Stratocaster
3 single coil strat pickups
Neck:650R humbucker Bridge: 700T hUmbucker
Top seven best metal guitar brands
1. Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Metal Guitar, Worn Brown
If you are looking for an excellent metal guitar that is easy to play, then go for Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Guitar, Worn Brown. It is a reasonably priced metal guitar for lovers of mini-humbucker.
It is made with similar materials to its predecessor, a solid mahogany body, and the neck is of maple. It has a gorgeous sprayed finish that makes it appear classy on stage as you play.
Features and benefits
1. Has a carrier bag,
2. Solid electronics,
3. Made of mahogany body,
4. The rosewood fingerboard is thick,
5. You can start playing after removing it from the box since it is set before packaging.
1. Some buyers have complained of its craftsmanship,
2. Minor issues with intonation,
3. Lacks tremolo,
4. Has a thicker neck that most metal guitars.
This guitar, Gibson SG Special 2016 T Electric guitar has all the features a professional metal guitarist will look for in a guitar, from the design, finish and the electronics. The sound is brighter compared to the standard Gibson SG.
2. SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR Electronic Metal Guitar
The playability of any guitar depends mainly on its quality. A genre has specific guitars intended for it. It is one guitar that is specially designed for metal. Schecter as a manufacturer is renowned for making high quality hard hitting metal guitars. It is a rocking metal monster. It has black chrome hardware and chosen to enhance its look.
- Body: Mahogany
- Neck: 3 pc mahogany
- Pickups: EMG active 81TW/89
- Frets: 24 extra jumbo
- Hardware: Black chrome
- Inlays: Gothic cross
- Tuners: Grover
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Scale length: 25- ½ "
Features and benefits
- For a harsh electric guitar tone, this guitar is fitted with EMG 81 TW and 89 pickups. Also, the guitar is made with push/pull coil splitting volume knobs offering single coil tones. Many metal guitarists agree that this feature enhances the sound produced when playing this guitar.
- Gothic cross inlays, a rosewood fingerboard, and 24 extra jumbo frets give the guitar a sinister appearance.
- Fitted with a Solid mahogany body and a quilted Marple top that enhances its durability and a beautiful look.
1. Solid, durable mahogany body,
2. 24 extra jumbo frets,
3. Active pickup for an excellent tune,
4. Suitable for all metal guitarists,
5. Gorgeous finish for a hellraiser,
6. Once appropriately set you it will stay long before readjusting, you will only need to fine tune using the fine tune knob located on the bridge,
7. has push /pull buttons that allow you to switch from humbucker to single mode and vice versa.
1. You purchase the case separately,
2. It is difficult to realize the difference between the humbucker and single coil,
3. Changing the string gauge must be done by a professional.
This model offers the best electric sound and can be used for a number of music genres. It has an attractive look that will enhance your appearance on stage. The time you invest in playing your guitar will be complemented by a unique quality metal guitar like the SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR electronic guitar.
3. ESP LTD Deluxe EC 1000 VB Electric Metal guitar
- Mahogany body
- 24-3/4" set neck
- Mahogany neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- 24 extra jumbo frets
- ESP locking tuners
- Black hardware
- EMG 81/60 pickups
- Thin U neck contour
Features and benefits
- It is made with comfortable, simple controls like the three-way pickup selector, independent volume control, and the master tone control.
- For stable tuning to withstand playing it is fitted with Tonepros locking TOM Bridge, tailpiece, and LTD locking tuners.
- Abalone inlays, the active EMG 81/60 pickups, and a flamed Marple top gives it a stunning finish making it appealing to any metal player.
1. Sleek vintage black finish,
2. Durable solid mahogany body,
3. Attractive fit and finish,
4. High-quality sound output,
5. The body is lighter compared to other metal guitars,
6. Superb electronics and sound.
1. Low action nut,
2. You may take time to get used to the extra jumbo frets.
This is a fantastic guitar with an impressive finish and a lighter body. It possesses all the necessary features that any metal guitarist will look for in an ideal guitar.
4. Maestro by Gibson Electric Metal Guitar
Any beginner will fall in love with this model. They require a metal guitar that is easy to play. It is a full-size guitar with accessories and amp. It is a single cutaway guitar perfect for beginners. It is easy to play and provide the unique and excellent rock tune. It has guidelines on how to play in a DVD pack. It has all the necessary accessories and instruction guides for a beginner.
- Die-cast steel hardware
- Black fretboard
- 22 frets
- Black body full-size guitar
- Marple neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- Poplar body
Features and benefits
- It has a 24.75inch scale length that helps to reduce tension; this means that you will require pressing the strings gently as you play unlike other guitars, a factor that makes it perfect for beginners.
- Chrome hardware makes it last longer. Besides, stable tuning is enhanced by die-hard precision tuners. The tailpiece is wrapped around the design to provide sustain.
- It is fitted with a Gibson Humbucker pickup that provides a rock tune.
1. Comes with accessories for a beginner,
2. Easy to play compared to other brands,
3. Produces great rock tune,
4. Has an impressive look,
5. The best for beginner metal players,
1. The strings are of poor quality.
This model provides you will all you need to start your journey as a metal guitar player, much more than what most models offer for example the instructions DVD pack. In addition, it has a classy finish that will make you love the model.
5. Squier Bullet Stratocaster SSS Electric Metal Guitar
If you have decided to play metal guitar, what you require is a piece that while guarantee quality sound and that is easy to play. You don't have to spend much to get a great metal guitar. The Squier Bullet Stratocaster SSS electric guitar is a favorite of many due to its durability, ease of playing, quality of sound and its attractive design. It has all the necessary features of metal guitar, making it perfect for beginners and students. Any person who wants to start learning guitar playing can start with this guitar.
- Body Material: Basswood
- Neck material: Rosewood
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Fingerboard: Marple
- Neck plate: 4-bolt standard
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Neck Pickup: Standard single- coil strat
- Neck Shape: "C" shape
- Pickup Switching: 5- position blade
- Number of frets: 21
- Controls: master volume, Tone 1, Tone 2
- Scale length: 25.5" (648mm)
- Bridge pickup: standard single-coil strat
- Neck finish: polyurethane
Features and benefits
- Basswood body, and has a c_ shaped neck is C- shaped and made of rosewood making it light and comes in different colors.
- It has a bridge with chrome tremolo making it suitable for beginners and has high-quality sound.
- It has exciting finishing's, and it is easy to learn.
1, Durable basswood body,
2. It is affordable,
3. Perfect for beginners and students,
4. Easy and simple to play,
5. Different colors to choose from.
1. Lack negative reviews.
If you are planning to start playing metal guitar, this is the best guitar, to begin with as you plan to move to other brands. It is simple, with a beautiful finish and simplicity that any beginner will crave for.
6. Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster Beginner Electric Metal Guitar
Considering the numerous brands of metal guitars in the market today, as a beginner, you may find difficulties in locating a suitable metal guitar. You will love playing using this beginner electric guitar. It comes packed with all the items you require as a beginner to start your journey as a metal guitarist. They include; Fender instructional DVD, 15 G amplifier, cable, electronic tuner, gig bag, straps and picks.
- Solid hardwood body
- 21 fret rosewood fingerboard
- 3- single coil pickups
- 5- Way pickup switching
- Die-cast chrome tuners
- Has a Fulcrum tremolo bridge
- Instructional DVD
- Instrument cable
- Guitar strap
- Gig bag
- Electronic tuner
- Pick Sampler
Features and benefits
- It has single coil pickups on a white pickguard, Marple neck, white control knobs and a rosewood fingerboard that makes it easy to play.
- It has a cross back speaker designed to produce high bass
- It has all the essential accessories you require as a starter metal player.
1. High-quality sound,
2. Designed for easy playing,
3. Has a headphone jack,
4. Impressive design,
5. Essential accessories for a beginner,
6. Available in two colors.
1. Poor quality amplifier.
This bullet guitar as the name suggests is designed primarily for beginners. If you are planning to start playing metal guitar, consider starting with a Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster electric guitar. It is easy to play and learn with and come with all the essentials accessories you need as a metal guitar player.
7. Epiphone Les Paul Electric Metal Guitar
Quality sound, durability and an attractive look are among the key features that any metal player will look for in a guitar of choice. The Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar can give your sounds that you with for metal. Not every guitar will produce the sounds you need for your genre of music. A careful search will deliver your guitar of choice.
- Body: mahogany
- Neck: mahogany
- Scale: 24.75."
- Tailpiece: Locking Tune-o-Matic
- Fretboard: Rosewood
- Number of frets: 22
- Bridge type: fixed
- Case: sold separately
- Bridge: Alnico classic
Features and benefits
- The guitar has the essentials you require to start playing, which include; free online training guide, 10-ft cable, gigbag, picks, 10 watt Electra amp, and a clip-on headstock tuner.
- A pair of open-coiled humbuckers provides the monstrous tone associated with this model. Most guitars in the market are single-coiled.
- It has an Amp that enables different controls including bass, master control, tremble and override button to produce your desired sound.
- The amp contains an auxiliary input that allows you to link to external audio to play your tracks. It also has a head jack if you want to play in silence.
1. Has a 10 watt Electra Amp,
2. Packed with all the essentials for beginners,
3. Easy to tune and adjust as you play,
4. Has a headphone jack,
5. Made of solid wood for durability.
1. Its quality is wanting.
If you are looking for a low budget metal guitar to jump-start your career as a metal guitarist, and then you can make Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar your first guitar. It contains all the essential accessories you will require as a beginner. You will be able to train yourself at your convenience with this guitar.
Things to consider when selecting your metal guitar
It should not be too heavy as you have to hang it across your body as you perform. The type of wood chosen is essential; you must strike a balance between the weight of the guitar and the sound you want to produce.
Mahogany and maple are among the heaviest woods used for the guitars and have the right density to sustain the vibrations. On the other hand, poplar, basswood, and alder are lighter. Avoid odd -shaped guitars that lack balance in the body. The body needs to be well balanced to avoid the neck been in a bizarre angel across your body.
A metal guitar requires high output pickups. There are two types of pickups; the active and the passive pickups. Active pickups are the best for this type of guitar since they guarantee better control of the guitar compared to the passive ones. Though there are harder to dial in, they are louder and allow you to adjust your tone.
Pickups to a guitarist equate to a microphone to a vocalist. Many people overlook this important feature when selecting metal guitars. New brand s tends to have active pickups since they offer better compression and output. Compared to passive pickup, the active ones are less noisy since a battery powers them.
Before you go shopping, you must have a set amount of money that you have purposed to spend on the guitar. You will have identified the range as you do your initial market research.
An excellent metal guitar should not be cheap; it should be affordable and be able to serve your need. That gives you the best performance while you are on stage. If you are young in the industry, you can try a cheaper model and graduate to a more expensive one as you get used to playing metal guitars.
Style / appearance
The shape of the guitar will compliment your appearance on the stage. You need a classy guitar. You must decide if you will go for an eight, six or seven-stringed instrument. Most musicians are adapting seven and eight-stringed metal guitars today. The shape of the edges should conform to the genre. You also have a choice on whether to choose a solid body or a hollow one. Solid bodies offer better metal sound.
Choose a thin neck and a low action. There are four types of necks; one piece, three pieces, reinforced and those that run through the entire length of the metal guitar. Regarding stability, reinforced and three-piece necks are the best.
Two types exist, the compound and straight radius. Many metal guitarists prefer the compound ones as they are easy to play and offer faster runs.
With all the information that I have shared on how to look for the best metal guitar, what to consider, and the different brand, you should be in a position to select the best guitar. For those looking for their first guitar, I will recommend the Epiphone Les Paul, Squier bullet, squire by Fender, Maestro by Gibson or the ESP LTD Deluxe E C 100 VB, the rest two are ideal for those who have been in the art for a while.
The best thing about the beginner metal guitars is that most of them come with training materials and the essential accessories that you will require to start your training. Grab your favorite metal guitar and become the star you always wanted to be.