Top 10 Best Metal Guitars in 2019 | Reviews and Buying Guide
If you are a guitar player, you will agree with me that the instrument you play will spice your performance. There are many metal guitars on the market. But believe me, some have excelled in giving the right quality music, in getting the crowds entertained.
There are so many metal guitar manufacturers in the world. For any aspiring guitarist may have difficulty in selecting the best metal guitar. You need a guitar that will set you apart from the rest of the musicians. That will endeavor you to top the list in the entertainment circles.
Table of Contents
- 1 How We Selected the Best Metal Guitar
- 2 Best Metal Guitars Comparison
- 3 Top Ten Best Metal Guitar Brands
- 3.1 01. Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Metal Guitar, Ebony
- 3.2 02. Oscar Schmidt OE20B-A-U Solid Body Electric Metal Guitar. Black
- 3.3 03. Yamaha Gigmaker Electric Metal Guitar Package; Metallic Blue
- 3.4 04. Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Metal Guitar, Worn Brown
- 3.5 05. SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR Electronic Metal Guitar
- 3.6 06. ESP LTD Deluxe EC 1000 VB Electric Metal guitar
- 3.7 07. Maestro by Gibson Electric Metal Guitar
- 3.8 Cons
- 3.9 08. Squier Bullet Stratocaster SSS Electric Metal Guitar
- 3.10 09. Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster Beginner Electric Metal Guitar
- 3.11 10. Epiphone Les Paul Electric Metal Guitar
- 4 Best Metal Guitar Buying Guide
- 5 Some Gadgets for Metal Guitar
- 6 What Guitars Are Good for Metal?
- 7 Are Jackson Guitars good for metal?
- 8 What is the best guitar brand for metal?
- 9 Final Verdict
Select Best One
If you are thinking of going metal, not every guitar will work for you. You must be serious in your selection to get the best. Based on my experience with metal guitars, I will assist you to come up with the best catch. That will define your style and genre.
The best metal guitar should allow fast-playing, be able to produce the massive tunes associated with metal in addition to being attractive. Any musical instrument is as good as the player. Read more to find top reviews and buying guide to help you buy the best.
How We Selected the Best Metal Guitar
To select the metal guitar for your music, you must consider some things first. Prior research is vital as an aid to what you probably require. We spent several hours online researching different brands. Our team members also visited several guitar shops. We get ideas from an experienced metal guitarist. Their input was vital in helping us select these instruments.
We tested many metal guitars. We are then considering different factors such as playability, sound quality, comfort, and much more. We were able to fish out the best metal guitars. Any metal player will love our reviewing list.
Best Metal Guitars Comparison
Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Guitar
490R and 490T humbuckers
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
EMG Active 81TW/89
ESP LTD DELUXE E C1000VB
Maestro by Gibson
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
Standard single coil strat
Squier by Fender affinity Stratocaster
3 single coil strat pickups
Neck:650R humbucker Bridge: 700T hUmbucker
Top Ten Best Metal Guitar Brands
01. Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Metal Guitar, Ebony
When it comes to singing, you need a strong melody that will make your vocals entertaining and pleasant to the listeners. This quality melody is what the Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL electric metal guitar gives you. With a premium 700T Humbucker pickups, it produces clear melodies that will rhyme with your lyrical styles. Equipped with a fretboard, you can produce some of the best melodies that would make your lyrics entertainment. Very quick and sharp in functioning, it produces the melody just when you need it so to match your lyrics.
Besides its functional competence, it is made using Mahogany body. Mahogany is a strong wood that lasts longer than any other type of wood. Besides its strength, mahogany is known to produce some excellent vibrations to perfect sound quality at all times. Its electromagnetic is superb, making the guitar to produce an excellent hum for the benefit of the singer.
- It is robust to last longer than expected,
- Perfect electromagnetic system for excellent hum production,
- Comes With the user-friendly scale of 24.75 Scale,
- Plays sharp for accurate singing,
- Doesn’t need a lot of maintenance since it is very modern.
- You cannot use it if you don’t know how to play,
- The guitar may be a bit expensive compared to traditional ones.
02. Oscar Schmidt OE20B-A-U Solid Body Electric Metal Guitar. Black
If you have been looking to have wonderful music sessions, this guitar is for you. It is in optimum length, so it is ideal for all sizes of people since you can reach the features well. Made from Mahogany Body and Maple set neck, it produces wonderful vibrations leading to excellent melodies that are perfect for singing. Modern guitar, meant to make sure you have all melodies you want. Equipped with a Tune-O-Matic bridge, you can make adjustments to match your requirements easily. Two humbucker pickups are meant for perfect melodies of excellent quality. As many other guitars have only one humbucker, this one has two of them.
With a single cut way style, it is presentable and adorable. It is also made with a lightweight. You can use it to perform live on stage or carry it around as you sing. You have made in different colors for you to select what is best for you.
- Two humbuckers for quality melody products,
- Adjustable strings to make any sound you want,
- Lightweight to be used in live performances,
- Stylish to make it look more appealing,
- Comes in many colors so you can. choose the best one for you.
- It is only for professionals, and beginners may not use it well,
- Made of wood, so extra care is needed.
03. Yamaha Gigmaker Electric Metal Guitar Package; Metallic Blue
Its time to take your singing to another level with a guitar and a 20-watt amp. This amp is connectable with external speaks to produce a wonderful sound that will be in line with your lyrics. The guitar is electric with a wonderful scale that will make it convenient for all sizes of people. It is made with a metallic blue cover as well as white color materials to make it more outstanding. For easy usability and functionality, it comes with the best Picks, straps, strings, and tuner. The tuner is for adjustments, and straps are for carrying your guitar around as you do your singing. Made with all musical features in mind, it would be easy for you to sing and match your lyrics perfectly.
The electromagnetic system is superfast to ensure it produces direct vibrations for excellent melody production. If you would like to Have an excellent guitar that is perfect for your music career, this can get the job done.
- Excellent tones for perfect singing,
- Lightweight for one to carry around while singing,
- Adjustable straps to fit any size,
- The perfect scale of 24.75 inches,
- The amp makes melodies more wonderful than ever.
- Its colors may not be pleasing to people,
- The guitar Has features for professionals, and beginners will take time to know it.
04. Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Metal Guitar, Worn Brown
If you are looking for an excellent metal guitar that is easy to play, then go for Gibson SG Faded 2016 T Electric Metal Guitar, Worn Brown. It is a reasonably priced metal guitar for lovers of mini-humbucker.
It is made with similar materials to its predecessor, a solid mahogany body, and the neck is of maple. It has a gorgeous sprayed finish that makes it appear classy on stage as you play.
Features and benefits
1. Has a carrier bag,
2. Solid electronics,
3. Made of mahogany body,
4. The rosewood fingerboard is thick,
5. You can start playing after removing it from the box since it is set before packaging.
1. Some buyers have complained of its craftsmanship,
2. Minor issues with intonation,
3. Lacks tremolo,
4. Has a thicker neck that most metal guitars.
This guitar, Gibson SG Special 2016 T Electric metal guitar has all the features a professional metal guitarist will look for in a guitar, from the design, finish and the electronics. The sound is brighter compared to the standard Gibson SG.
05. SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR Electronic Metal Guitar
The playability of any guitar depends mainly on its quality. A genre has specific guitars intended for it. SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR Electronic metal guitar is one guitar that is specially designed for metal. Schecter, as a manufacturer, is renowned for making high-quality hard-hitting metal guitars. It is a rocking metal monster. It has black chrome hardware and chosen to enhance its look..
- Body: Mahogany
- Neck: 3 pc mahogany
- Pickups: EMG active 81TW/89
- Frets: 24 extra jumbo
- Hardware: Black chrome
- Inlays: Gothic cross
- Tuners: Grover
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Scale length: 25- ½ "
Features and benefits
- For a harsh metal guitar tone, this guitar is fitted with EMG 81 TW and 89 pickups. Also, the guitar is made with push/pull coil-splitting volume knobs offering single-coil tones. Many metal guitarists agree that this feature enhances the sound produced when playing this guitar.
- Gothic cross inlays, a rosewood fingerboard, and 24 extra jumbo frets give the guitar a sinister appearance.
- Fitted with a Solid mahogany body and a quilted Marple top that enhances its durability and a beautiful look.
1. Solid, durable mahogany body,
2. 24 extra jumbo frets,
3. Active pickup for an excellent tune,
4. Suitable for all metal guitarists,
5. Gorgeous finish for a hellraiser,
6. Once appropriately set you it will stay long before readjusting, you will only need to fine tune using the fine tune knob located on the bridge,
7. has push /pull buttons that allow you to switch from humbucker to single mode and vice versa.
1. You purchase the case separately,
2. It is difficult to realize the difference between the humbucker and single coil,
3. Changing the string gauge must be done by a professional.
This model offers the best electric sound and can be used for several music genres. It has an attractive look that will enhance your appearance on stage. The time you invest in playing your guitar will be complemented by a unique quality metal guitar like the SchecterHellraiser C-1 FR electronic metal guitar.
06. ESP LTD Deluxe EC 1000 VB Electric Metal guitar
- Mahogany body
- 24-3/4" set neck
- Mahogany neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- 24 extra jumbo frets
- ESP locking tuners
- Black hardware
- EMG 81/60 pickups
- Thin U neck contour
Features and benefits
- It is made with comfortable, simple controls like the three-way pickup selector, independent volume control, and the master tone control.
- For stable tuning to withstand playing it is fitted with Tonepros locking TOM Bridge, tailpiece, and LTD locking tuners.
- Abalone inlays, the active EMG 81/60 pickups, and a flamed Marple top gives it a stunning finish making it appealing to any metal player.
1. Sleek vintage black finish,
2. Durable solid mahogany body,
3. Attractive fit and finish,
4. High-quality sound output,
5. The body is lighter compared to other metal guitars,
6. Superb electronics and sound.
1. Low action nut,
2. You may take time to get used to the extra jumbo frets.
This is a fantastic metal guitar with an impressive finish and a lighter body. It possesses all the necessary features that any metal guitarist will look for in an ideal guitar.
07. Maestro by Gibson Electric Metal Guitar
Any beginner will fall in love with this model. They require a metal guitar that is easy to play. It is a full-size guitar with accessories and amp. It is a single-cutaway guitar perfect for beginners. It is easy to play and provide a unique and excellent rock tune. It has guidelines on how to play in a DVD pack. It has all the necessary accessories and instruction guides for a beginner.
- Die-cast steel hardware
- Black fretboard
- 22 frets
- Black body full-size guitar
- Marple neck
- Rosewood fretboard
- Poplar body
Features and benefits
- It has a 24.75inch scale length that helps to reduce tension; this means that you will require pressing the strings gently as you play unlike other guitars, a factor that makes it perfect for beginners.
- Chrome hardware makes it last longer. Besides, stable tuning is enhanced by die-hard precision tuners. The tailpiece is wrapped around the design to provide sustain.
- It is fitted with a Gibson Humbucker pickup that provides a rock tune.
1. Comes with accessories for a beginner,
2. Easy to play compared to other brands,
3. Produces great rock tune,
4. Has an impressive look,
5. The best for beginner metal players,
1. The strings are of poor quality.
This model provides you will all you need to start your journey as a metal guitar player, much more than what most models offer for example the instructions DVD pack. In addition, it has a classy finish that will make you love the model.
08. Squier Bullet Stratocaster SSS Electric Metal Guitar
If you have decided to play metal guitar, what you require is a piece that while guarantee quality sound and that is easy to play. You don't have to spend much to get a great metal guitar. The Squier Bullet Stratocaster SSS electric metal guitar is a favorite of many due to its durability, ease of playing, quality of sound, and its attractive design. It has all the necessary features of metal guitar, making it perfect for beginners and students. Any person who wants to start learning guitar playing can start with this guitar.
- Body Material: Basswood
- Neck material: Rosewood
- Body Shape: Stratocaster
- Fingerboard: Marple
- Neck plate: 4-bolt standard
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Neck Pickup: Standard single- coil strat
- Neck Shape: "C" shape
- Pickup Switching: 5- position blade
- Number of frets: 21
- Controls: master volume, Tone 1, Tone 2
- Scale length: 25.5" (648mm)
- Bridge pickup: standard single-coil strat
- Neck finish: polyurethane
Features and benefits
- Basswood body, and has a c_ shaped neck is C- shaped and made of rosewood making it light and comes in different colors.
- It has a bridge with chrome tremolo making it suitable for beginners and has high-quality sound.
- It has exciting finishing's, and it is easy to learn.
1, Durable basswood body,
2. It is affordable,
3. Perfect for beginners and students,
4. Easy and simple to play,
5. Different colors to choose from.
1. Lack negative reviews.
If you are planning to start playing metal guitar, this is the best guitar, to begin with as you plan to move to other brands. It is simple, with a beautiful finish and simplicity that any beginner will crave for.
09. Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster Beginner Electric Metal Guitar
Considering the numerous brands of metal guitars in the market today, as a beginner, you may find difficulties in locating a suitable metal guitar. You will love playing using this beginner electric metal guitar. It comes packed with all the items you require as a beginner to start your journey as a metal guitarist. They include; Fender instructional DVD, 15 G amplifier, cable, electronic tuner, gig bag, straps and picks.
- Solid hardwood body
- 21 fret rosewood fingerboard
- 3- single coil pickups
- 5- Way pickup switching
- Die-cast chrome tuners
- Has a Fulcrum tremolo bridge
- Instructional DVD
- Instrument cable
- Guitar strap
- Gig bag
- Electronic tuner
- Pick Sampler
Features and benefits
- It has single coil pickups on a white pickguard, Marple neck, white control knobs and a rosewood fingerboard that makes it easy to play.
- It has a cross back speaker designed to produce high bass
- It has all the essential accessories you require as a starter metal player.
1. High-quality sound,
2. Designed for easy playing,
3. Has a headphone jack,
4. Impressive design,
5. Essential accessories for a beginner,
6. Available in two colors.
1. Poor quality amplifier.
This bullet guitar, as the name suggests, is designed primarily for beginners. If you are planning to start playing metal guitar, consider starting with a Squier by Fender Affinity Stratocaster electric guitar. It is easy to play and learn with and come with all the essentials accessories you need as a metal guitar player.
10. Epiphone Les Paul Electric Metal Guitar
Quality sound, durability, and an attractive look are among the key features that any metal player will look for in a guitar of choice. Not every guitar will produce the sounds you need for your genre of music. The Epiphone Les Paul electric metal guitar can give your sounds that you with for metal. A careful search will deliver your guitar of choice.
- Body: mahogany
- Neck: mahogany
- Scale: 24.75."
- Tailpiece: Locking Tune-o-Matic
- Fretboard: Rosewood
- Number of frets: 22
- Bridge type: fixed
- Case: sold separately
- Bridge: Alnico classic
Features and benefits
- The guitar has the essentials you require to start playing, which include; free online training guide, 10-ft cable, gigbag, picks, 10 watt Electra amp, and a clip-on headstock tuner.
- A pair of open-coiled humbuckers provide the monstrous tone associated with this model. Most guitars in the market are single-coiled.
- It has an Amp that enables different controls including bass, master control, tremble, and override button to produce your desired sound.
- The amp contains an auxiliary input that allows you to link to external audio to play your tracks. It also has a head jack if you want to play in silence.
1. Has a 10 watt Electra Amp,
2. Packed with all the essentials for beginners,
3. Easy to tune and adjust as you play,
4. Has a headphone jack,
5. Made of solid wood for durability.
1. Its quality is wanting.
If you are looking for a low budget metal guitar to jump-start your career as a metal guitarist, and then you can make Epiphone Les Paul electric metal guitar your first guitar. It contains all the essential accessories you will require as a beginner. You will be able to train yourself at your convenience with this guitar.
Best Metal Guitar Buying Guide
Regardless of the player or the budget, you need a nice guitar to have an adorable style that will make people adore your songs. You can play the same nodes on any guitar, but you cannot be nice on any guitar. If you play metal, you need this guide because it will help you to acquire only the best guitar for your music career. First, ensure your budget is fit for the category you want, because of the better the budget, the more excellent guitars you can get.
It should not be too heavy as you have to hang it across your body as you perform. The type of wood chosen is essential; you must strike a balance between the weight of the guitar and the sound you want to produce.
Mahogany and maple are among the densest woods used for the guitars and have the right density to sustain the vibrations. On the other hand, poplar, basswood, and alder are lighter. Avoid odd-shaped guitars that lack balance in the body. The body needs to be well balanced to avoid the neck been in a bizarre angle across your body.
Wood Material That the Guitar is Made From
Wood is what determines the kind of tones that your guitar would be producing. If you want deep, rich, resonant tones, it is good to go for mahogany guitars. For people who need more bass, it would be good to ask for a guitar with basswood. Engineering of the guitar also determines how perfect your guitar would be. Wood determines tones and also plays a role in improving the longevity of your guitar.
Bridges and Tuning Machines
When it comes to these hardware aspects, you can choose from two types of machines, fixed vs. tremolo bridges. If you are a beginner, you will need a fixed type of turning. It enables stable tuning without any confusion. Tremolo-equipped bridges are attached to a single body where all strings are attached. You can control the tension of all strings using a single tremolo arm. It is only for pros, and sometimes it comes with a dive-bombing for more tension adjustability.
A metal guitar requires high output pickups. There are two types of pickups; the active and the passive pickups. Active pickups are the best for this type of guitar since they guarantee better control of the guitar compared to the passive ones. Though there are harder to dial in, they are louder and allow you to adjust your tone.
Pickups to a guitarist equate to a microphone to a vocalist. Many people overlook this important feature when selecting metal guitars. New brand s tends to have active pickups since they offer better compression and output. Compared to passive pickup, the active ones are less noisy since a battery powers them.
Before you go shopping, you must have a set amount of money that you have purposed to spend on the guitar. You will have identified the range as you do your initial market research.
An excellent metal guitar should not be cheap; it should be affordable and be able to serve your need. That gives you the best performance while you are on stage. If you are young in the industry, you can try a cheaper model and graduate to a more expensive one as you get used to playing metal guitars.
Style / appearance
The shape of the guitar will compliment your appearance on the stage. You need a classy guitar. You must decide if you will go for an eight, six or seven-stringed instrument. Most musicians are adapting seven and eight-stringed metal guitars today. The shape of the edges should conform to the genre. You also have a choice on whether to choose a solid body or a hollow one. Solid bodies offer better metal sound.
Choose a thin neck and a low action. There are four types of necks; one piece, three pieces, reinforced and those that run through the entire length of the metal guitar. Regarding stability, reinforced and three-piece necks are the best.
Two types exist, the compound and straight radius. Many metal guitarists prefer the compound ones as they are easy to play and offer faster runs.
A smaller and more curved Freeboard is important. It is known to offer excellent tones and can be handled perfectly well. When you want to enjoy playing music, choose the 16” at the body-end and 12” near the headstock. It is commonly used by the top brands, so there is no way you can miss to enjoy using it. There is no wrong or right radius; it all depends on what it is suitable for you.
Ease of Playing
If you are a beginner, it is important to know what is best for and the same applies to pros. It takes time to master the skills of playing the guitar so beginners must go for the simplest types of guitars available in the market. Always make sure you have the best kind of features. It is good you play the guitar alone before you add other musical instruments to your list. Small practice amp, medium gauge picks, A tuner are some of the things you need to have.
Some Gadgets for Metal Guitar
Some gadgets are important if you want the best musical play at all times. You need to make sure you have excellent types of materials for your musical practice to be perfect. Below are some of the gadgets.
Sonic Port VX Audio Interface
FuelTank Junior Power Supply
Guitar Microphone & Interface
An automatic guitar tuner is important to change tones
Every gadget is important and to include in your list, is a wall hanger for your guitar. These are like your singing accessories that ensure you have a perfect singing experience while playing your guitar.
Other factors to consider include the range which is normally 24.75 inches. You should also consider the number of strings on the guitar. Most guitarists play between 7 and 8 strings so you should choose the one that is best for you. Experts’ guitarists use advice on the best guitar quality to buy.
What Guitars Are Good for Metal?
There are guitars that have been known to perform well when it comes to metal play. Many people have been envying and wanting to play them. Below are some of these guitars and some of their common known features.
Jackson X Series Soloist SL4X-Made with basswood and a maple neck, it stands out because of the quality sound and excellent performance. It features an aerodynamic design, double-locking tremolo and an eye-popping finish thereby making it more wonderful in style and performance.
Ibanez RGD3127 Prestige - One of the professional guitars for advanced music playing and recording. It contains a wonderful Lo-Pro Edge 7 Tremolo and has a scale of 26.5 inches. It’s a Gotoh tuner for easy tone changing. Built-in an easy-to-carry style, you can play it even on live performances.
Other top guitars for metal include,
Wylde Audio Odin
B.C. Rich MK5 Warlock
Jackson JS32T Rhoads
The list is long but first, check at the specifications of every guitar before you select which one to buy for your metal. Most important check at the guide so that you know which guitar to buy for your metal.
Are Jackson Guitars good for metal?
Yes, Jackson guitars are among the best guitars for metal. They have been in the market since 1980, and during those days, they had a total monopoly in the metal guitar industry. In fact, those who played metal without a Jackson guitar would be termed as mentally challenged. Even with immense
competition nowadays, the performance, quality, and reliability of these guitars are still unmatched. It is the most preferred brand for metal playing so people cannot forgo it. The most pleasing part of it all is that it contains categories for beginners and experienced alike. So you will get all the features you need to take your music career to the next level.
What is the best guitar brand for metal?
If you play metal, you need a perfect guitar that will be able to produce the sound you need in the best quality possible. Not all brands are perfect for metal guitars, so you need to know which ones are perfect. Remember, every brand has its own subtypes of guitars, so you need to check at specifications of the very category before you even buy it. Below are some of the top brands for metal guitar brands.
Jackson- It is known to have plenty of great collection of acoustic and electric guitars. Many people love it because of its excellent sound quality and perfect performance.
Charvel- Loved by people because it contains all types of guitars for both beginners and experienced players. You can both electric and acoustic type of guitars to play
Ibanez-Every guitar of this brand is made with cool features for excellent play and perfect tone production. The adjustability of strings, quality, and compatibility with other instruments is just perfect. It is good for your metal.
ESP-LTD-This is a brand that has stood the test of time because many have reviewed it positively. Perfect performance, durable and comes with all modern electric features.
Gibson-Every guitar from this brand is built with an emphasis on excellent sound production, easy handling, and fit for the level of players who buy it.
With all the information that I have shared, you can look for the best metal guitar. What to consider and the different brand, you should be in a position to select the best guitar. For those looking for their first guitar, I will recommend the Epiphone Les Paul, Squier bullet, squire by Fender, Maestro by Gibson or the ESP LTD Deluxe E C 100 VB. The rest two are ideal for those who have been in the art for a while.
The best thing about the beginner metal guitars is that most of them come with training materials and the essential accessories that you will require to start your training. Grab your favorite metal guitar and become the star you always wanted to be.